Plan Your Inaugural Event
Plan an initial chapter event to ascertain interest and if sufficient, identify volunteer leadership. We suggest first reaching out to alums in the area to gague interest and get input about geographical location, dates and venues. It's best to keep your first event simple, inexpensive and, most of all, fun. Many groups have started out with happy hour, lunch or office visit events.
- Happy hours work well because they extend an “open door” networking style event where guests pay as they consume.
- Lunches and office visit events are more structured events, but are a good way to get a greater diversity of people. Typically these events require some up-front money and advance RSVPs.
Once you decide on your event type, call restaurants and venues ahead of time and preplan with a manager in case you end up with a large party. Many venues are happy to work with groups of six or more for the purposes of networking, lunch, dinner or private events.
Once you have all of your event details in place, you can work with the Alumni Relations office to update the Merage School calendar, get an up-to-date email distribution list, and publicize the event in the eNewsletter and on the website. The event should be calendared at least one month in advance for maximum publicity. Please include:
Next: Hosting requirements
- Date, time, location, cost and parking information are critical. A local contact is also required
- Remember to include dress code in all your event marketing materials, as some locations require it.
- An example of the initial email can be found here.