Certificate In Management for Technical Professionals (CMTP)
Essential Business Knowledge for Emerging Leaders
Successful companies recognize that it is essential to enhance the performance of their high-potential, technical employees by offering knowledge and training in how companies operate, ultimately yielding broadened perspectives, enriched cross-functional interactions, and better overall business decisions. This prestigous certificate program, offered by the Office of Executive Education at the University of California Irvine's Paul Merage School of Business, is specifically designed to provide this necessary business education for emerging leaders in all technical fields.
Spring 2015 Program Dates
- Session 1: April 17, 2015
- Session 2: May 1, 2015
- Session 3: May 15, 2015
- Session 4: May 29, 2015
- Session 5: June 12, 2015
Sessions 1-5 : Fridays 8am - 5pm; Networking 5-6pm
For more information or to register, contact Joe Davenport Joe.Davenport@uci.edu or 949-824-4948.
CMTP may be eligible for tuiton reinbursements.
Expand students' awareness and appreciation for the non-technical dimensions of their company - enable them to make an immediate impact on their organization - 'move the needle' by enhancing their knowledge and help them to:
- View business as an integrated system and understand how their actions impact the whole
- Enhance their ability to operate cross-functionally
- Understand the authority, context, processes, and techniques by which companies set strategy, manage operations, evaluate performance and make decisions
- Broaden business skills and perspectives to complement a technical background
- Learn best practices from distinguished faculty, industry professionals, and peers
- World-class Merage School faculty pair with executive practitioners from global enterprises
- Program-specific Educational Container website enhances the learning experience
- Five full days of instruction delivered over ten weeks (every other Friday)
- Two modules per program day, delivered on the UCI campus every other Friday
- Approximately 72 hours of learning with forty hours of classroom instruction
- Academic faculty provides foundational information, research, and theory, which are augmented and lent depth by executive practitioner's experience, case studies, and activities.
“Delivering innovative products to our customers requires great teams and strong leaders. Developing the leadership skill to drive group collaboration, superior project management and convert technical expertise into best-in-class products is vital to our organization. We believe the CMTP empowers our technical professionals with the right information, skills, awareness, and best practices to advance their overall careers and make our companies more effective in meeting our customers’ needs and requirements.”
Chief Executive Officer, Emulex
Program Philosophy: The Blind Men And The Elephant
The ancient parable of the blind men who are aware of only one portion of the elephant originalted in the Indian subcontinent and has spread widely. We chose this parable as a metaphor for the opportunity that CMTP students have to expand their perspectives and think strategically. Students who "remove their blindfolds" by increasing their understanding will be more effective and powerful participants in the growth of a healthy and successful enterprise.
"Educational Container" - Interactive Resource
Students engage materials and each other through a web-based Educational Container that enhances the learning experience before, during, and after each module is taught. Pre-readings, extended reference libraries, videos, and additional materials are available around the clock to students to prepare for each session. Interactions with peers, faculty, executive practitioners, and program staff are enabled by chat, blog and posting capabilities. During the program, students maximize the value of their learning through interactive dialogue and group activities. After the program has ended, students have ongoing access to the full multimedia reference library, enhancing their ability to apply their learning in the service of enterprise initiatives as well as their own career development.
- Viewed as high potential across functions
- Three to six years minimum; more for technical super-specialists
- Individual contributor/ team lead / manager / director
- Primarily degreed in Engineeering or Applied Sciences...but some very successful participants have only "workplace equivalent"
- Typical class includes both Southern California and Northern California participants