Certificate in Management for Technical Professionals (CMTP)
Essential Business Knowledge for Emerging Leaders
Successful technical professionals understand that it is essential to obtain additional knowledge and training in how companies operate, which yields broadened perspectives, enriched cross-functional interactions, and better overall business decisions. This prestigious certificate program, offered by The Paul Merage School of Business at the University of California Irvine, is specifically designed to provide this necessary business education for emerging leaders in all technical fields.
Spring 2017 Program Dates
Thursday, April 6, 2017
- Session 1: April 14, 2017
- Session 2: April 28, 2017
- Session 3: May 12, 2017
- Session 4: May 26, 2017
- Session 5: June 9, 2017
Sessions 1-5 : Fridays 8am - 5pm; Networking 5-6pm
For more information or to register, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 949-824-6610.
CMTP may be eligible for tuition reinbursement programs.
Expand students' awareness and appreciation for the non-technical dimensions of their company - enable them to make an immediate impact on their organization - 'move the needle' by enhancing their knowledge and help them to:
- View business as an integrated system and understand how their actions impact the whole
- Enhance their ability to operate cross-functionally
- Understand the authority, context, processes, and techniques by which companies set strategy, manage operations, evaluate performance and make decisions
- Broaden business skills and perspectives to complement a technical background
- Learn best practices from distinguished faculty, industry professionals, and peers
- World-class Merage School faculty pair with executive practitioners from global enterprises
- Program-specific Educational Container website enhances the learning experience
- Five full days of instruction delivered over ten weeks (every other Friday)
- Two modules per program day, delivered on the UCI campus every other Friday
- Approximately 72 hours of learning with forty hours of classroom instruction
- Academic faculty provides foundational information, research, and theory, which are augmented and lent depth by executive practitioner's experience, case studies, and activities.
"The Certificate in Management for Technical Professionals (CMTP) Program introduced me to broad business concepts and helped illuminate the factors that go into business decisions. CMTP's well-balanced approach of online pre-work, class lecture, group activities and real-world examples allowed me to gain a new perspective in my current role and introduced me to other non-technical areas that I plan to explore as my career progresses."
Program Philosophy: The Blind Men And The Elephant
The ancient parable of the blind men who are aware of only one portion of the elephant originalted in the Indian subcontinent and has spread widely. We chose this parable as a metaphor for the opportunity that CMTP students have to expand their perspectives and think strategically. Students who "remove their blindfolds" by increasing their understanding will be more effective and powerful participants in the growth of a healthy and successful enterprise.
"Educational Container" - Interactive Resource
Students engage materials and each other through a web-based Educational Container that enhances the learning experience before, during, and after each module is taught. Pre-readings, extended reference libraries, videos, and additional materials are available around the clock to students to prepare for each session. Interactions with peers, faculty, executive practitioners, and program staff are enabled by chat, blog and posting capabilities. During the program, students maximize the value of their learning through interactive dialogue and group activities. After the program has ended, students have ongoing access to the full multimedia reference library, enhancing their ability to apply their learning in the service of enterprise initiatives as well as their own career development.
- Viewed as high potential across functions
- Three to six years minimum; more for technical super-specialists
- Individual contributor / team lead / manager / director
- Primarily hold a degree in Engineeering or Applied Sciences...but some very successful participants have only "workplace equivalent"
- Typical class includes both Southern California and Northern California participants
Join Participants from Companies such as: