- Title: Senior Associate Dean; Professor, Marketing
- Office Phone: 949.824.5664
- Assistant: 949.824.7736
- Office Location: SB1 5301
- Email: email@example.com
- Key Research/Interest Areas:
- Consumers and technology
- Services Marketing
- Underserved markets, including Hispanics and the elderly
- Effects of advertising on employees
- Compliance in Service Encounters
- PhD, University of Houston
- MBA, Southern Methodist University
- BA, Trinity University
Mary Gilly returned to the Paul Merage School of Business in the summer of 2015 to serve as the Senior Associate Dean after a two year term as Vice Chair and Chair of the Academic Council at the UC Office of the President. In earlier years, Mary served key administrative roles at the business school and on the UC Irvine campus. Some of these roles at the business school include PhD Director, Associate Dean, and Vice Chair, and Chair of Academic Personnel and Chair of the Academic Senate.
Mary is also an accomplished scholar in the area of marketing, with expertise in consumer behavior, focusing her research on the indirect and often unintended consequences of marketing actions. She conducts her research in a variety of organizations, such as hospitals, quick-service restaurants, high-tech firms, and small retailers.
Current projects include a study of household decision-making at a distance via new technologies, consumer compliance with debt management services, and the phenomenon of consumer generated advertising. Two of her research grants funded by the National Science Foundation have focused on older Americans’ use of the Internet.
Her research findings have appeared in the Journal of Marketing, the Journal of Consumer Research, California Management Review, and the Journal of Retailing. She and a colleague recently wrote “Why Consumers Shop Online, Who They Are, and What They Want” for The Internet Encyclopedia.
Professor Gilly has made nearly 30 presentations on marketing to colloquia and conferences held across the United States, and internationally. She has co-chaired conferences and served as an officer in the American Marketing Association. She is currently Academic Director for the Association for Consumer Research, and is a member of the American Academy of Advertising.
Recent Journal Publications include:
- “Managing Consumer Debt: Culture, Compliance, and Completion,” with Dellande, Stephanie, John L. Graham and Mary C. Gilly (forthcoming) Journal of Business Research.
- “Cultural Competence and Cultural Compensatory Mechanisms in Bi-National Households,” with Cross, Samantha N.N. and Mary C. Gilly (2014), Journal of Marketing, 78 (May).
- “Consumption Compromises: Negotiation and Unification within Contemporary Families,” with Cross, Samantha N.N. and Mary C. Gilly (2014), Journal of Business Research, 67 (April), 449-456.
- “Bridging Cultural Divides: The Role and Impact of Bi-National Families,” with Cross, Samantha N.N. and Mary C. Gilly (2013), Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 32 (special issue), 106-111.
- “Sharing Space: Extending Belk’s (2010) ‘Sharing,’” with Griffiths, Merlyn and Mary C. Gilly (2012), Journal of Research for Consumers, 22.
- “So Whaddya Think? Consumers Create Ads and Other Consumers Critique Them,” with Ertimur, Burçak and Mary C. Gilly (2012), Journal of Interactive Marketing, 26 (August), 115-130.
- “Dibs! Consumer Territorial Behaviors,” with Griffiths, Merlyn A. and Mary C. Gilly (2012), Journal of Service Research, 15 (May), 131-149 (lead article).
- “It Don’t Come Easy: Overcoming Obstacles to Technology Use Within a Resistant Consumer Group,” with Gilly, Mary C., Mary Wolfinbarger Celsi and Hope Jensen Schau (2012), Journal of Consumer Affairs, 46 (1), 62-89.
- “Hubble Bubble Trouble: The Need for Education About and Regulation of Hookah Smoking,” with Griffiths, Merlyn A., Tracy R. Harmon and Mary C. Gilly (2011), Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 30 (1), 119-132.
- “Employees as Internal Audience: How Advertising Affects Employees’ Customer Focus,” with Celsi, Mary and Mary C. Gilly (2009), Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 38 (4), 520-529.
- “Consumer Identity Renaissance: The Resurgence of Identity Inspired Consumption in Retirement,” with Schau, Hope Jensen, Mary C. Gilly and Mary Wolfinbarger (2009), Journal of Consumer Research, 36 (August), 255-276.
- “Gender Differences in the Pricing of Professional Services: Implications for Income and Customer Relationships,” with Cron, William L., Mary C. Gilly, John L. Graham and John W. Slocum, Jr. (2009), Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 109 (May), 93-105.
- “The Impact of Code Switching on Service Encounters,” with Schau, Hope Jensen, Stephanie Dellande and Mary C. Gilly (2007), Journal of Retailing, 83 (1), 65-78.
- “Gaining Compliance and Losing Weight: The Role of the Service Provider in Health Care Services,” with Dellande, Stephanie, Mary C. Gilly and John Graham (2004), Journal of Marketing, 68 (July), 78-91.
- “We Are What We Post?: Self-Presentation in Personal Webspace,” with Schau, Hope Jensen and Mary C. Gilly (2003), Journal of Consumer Research, 30 (December), 385-404.
- “eTailQ: Dimensionalizing, Measuring and Predicting eTail Quality,” with Wolfinbarger, Mary and Mary C. Gilly (2003), Journal of Retailing, 79, 183-198.
- “Why Consumers Shop Online, Who They Are, and What they Want,” with Wolfinbarger, Mary and Mary Gilly (2003), in The Internet Encyclopedia, ed. Hossein Bigdoli, John Wiley (December).
- “Shopping Online for Freedom, Control, and Fun,” with Wolfinbarger, Mary and Mary C. Gilly (2001), California Management Review, 43, (Winter), 34-55.
- “A Comparison of Consumer Experiences with Online and Offline Shopping,” with Gilly, Mary C. and Mary Wolfinbarger (2001), Consumption, Markets & Culture, Vol. 4, No. 2, 187-205.
Listen to an interview with Mary Gilly that was broadcast to the national capital region for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation