- Title: Professor of Accounting and Equity Advisor
- Office Phone: 949.824.4041
- Office Location: SB2 433
- Email: email@example.com
- Key Research/Interest Areas:
- Corporate governance
- Corporate social responsibility
- Performance evaluations and compensation systems
- Use information technology to improve firm performance
- International accounting and management practices
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin
- MBA, National Taiwan University
- BBA, National Taiwan University
Joanna Ho specializes in corporate governance (ownership structure, board independence) and performance-based contracts at both employee and executive levels. Dr. Ho has received the KPMG Peat Marwick Research Opportunities in Auditing Grant and her work has been published in journals such as Accounting Horizon, Accounting Organizations and Society, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Behavior Research in Accounting, Contemporary Accounting Research, Journal of International Accounting Research, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Strategic Management Journal and others. She has made numerous presentations at conferences and workshops held in the States and around the world.
She has also received numerous faculty and teaching excellence awards.
She has served as the president of the Chinese Accounting Professor’s Association of North America (CAPANA), secretary of Chinese American Faculty Association-Southern California (CAFA), and Vice President for Sections and Regions at the American Accounting Association (AAA).
Professor Ho was associate dean at The Paul Merage School of Business for four years.
She is a Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Management Accountant.
2015 Vernon Zimmerman Best paper Award at The Asian Pacific International Accounting Conference
2013 The Don Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Research Grant
2011 Long Institute for the U.S. – China Business and Law Research Grant
2009 The Don Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Research Grant
2007 Vernon Zimmerman Best Paper Award at The Asian Pacific International Accounting Conference
2001-2003 Hong Kong Research Grants Council Award (Co-investigators)
2000-2001 Graduate School of Management Faculty Service Excellence Award
1998-1999 UCI Committee on Research, Multi-Investigator Research Program Award
1997-1998 UCI Excellence for Teaching Award
1996-1997 Graduate School of Management Excellence in Teaching Award
1995-1996 Graduate School of Management Excellence in Teaching Award
1990-1991 Faculty Career Development Award
1990-1991 Irvine Faculty Research Fellowship
1988-1989 Peat Marwick Research Opportunity in Auditing Fellowship
1988-1989 Faculty Career Development Award
1987-1988 Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation in Behavioral Accounting Award (first runner-up)
1987-1988 GSM Faculty Fellowship
- “Ho, J.L., A. Wu, and S.Y. Wu, “Performance Measures, Consensus on Strategy Implementation, and Performance: Evidence from the Operational-level of Organization”, 39, 2014, pp. 38-58, Accounting, Organizations and Society.”
- Ho, J.L and Fei Kang, "Auditor Choice and Audit Fees in Family Firms: Evidence from the S&P 1500", Vol. 32, No.4, 2013, pp 71-93, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory.
- Ho, J.L., A. Wu and Sean X. Xu, “Corporate Governance and Returns on Information Technology Investment: Evidence from an Emerging Market”, Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 32, No.6, 2010, pp. 595-623.
- Ho, J.L., A. Wu, and L.C. Lee, "How Changes in Compensation Affect Employee Performance, Recruitment and Retention—An Empirical Study of A Car Dealership," Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 167-199.
- S. Vera-Muñoz, Ho, J.L., and C. Chow, "The Openness of Tacit Knowledge Sharing in Audits: An Exploratory Study and Proposed Framework," Accounting Horizons, Vol. 20, No. 2, June 2006, pp. 133-155.
- Ho, Joanna L., P. Keltyka, and L. R. Keller, "How Information Ambiguity and Contextual Information Affect Managers’ Goal Congruence in Making Investment Decisions?" Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2005, pp. 163-186.