- Title: Professor of Accounting and Director of International Programs
- Office Phone: 949.824.4041
- Office Location: SB 322
- Email: email@example.com
- Key Research/Interest Areas:
- Corporate governance
- Performance evaluations and compensation systems
- Use information technology to improve firm performance
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002
- International accounting and management practices
- Understanding how managers make investment decisions
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin
- MBA, National Taiwan University
- BBA, National Taiwan University
Joanna Ho specializes in corporate governance (ownership structure, board independence) and performance-based contracts at both employee and executive levels. Her work has been published in such publications as Abacus, Accounting Horizons, Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory, Behavior Research in Accounting, Contemporary Accounting Research, Decision Sciences, Journal of Accounting Literature, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Journal of International Accounting Research, Journal of Management Accounting Research, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Strategic Management Journal and others.
Professor Ho was the recipient of the Hong Kong Research Grants Council Award and the KPMG Peat Marwick Research Opportunities in Auditing Grant. She has also received numerous faculty and teaching excellence awards.
She has served as the president of the Chinese Accounting Professor’s Association of North America (CAPANA), secretary of Chinese American Faculty Association-Southern California (CAFA), and Vice President for Sections and Regions at the American Accounting Association (AAA).
Professor Ho was associate dean at The Paul Merage School of Business for four years.
She is a Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Management Accountant.
2013 The Don Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Research Grant
2011 Long Institute for the U.S. – China Business and Law Research Grant
2009 The Don Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Research Grant
2007 Vernon Zimmerman Best Paper Award at The Asian Pacific International Accounting Conference
2001-2003 Hong Kong Research Grants Council Award (Co-investigators)
2000-2001 Graduate School of Management Faculty Service Excellence Award
1998-1999 UCI Committee on Research, Multi-Investigator Research Program Award
1997-1998 UCI Excellence for Teaching Award
1996-1997 Graduate School of Management Excellence in Teaching Award
1995-1996 Graduate School of Management Excellence in Teaching Award
1990-1991 Faculty Career Development Award
1990-1991 Irvine Faculty Research Fellowship
1988-1989 Peat Marwick Research Opportunity in Auditing Fellowship
1988-1989 Faculty Career Development Award
1987-1988 Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation in Behavioral Accounting Award (first runner-up)
1987-1988 GSM Faculty Fellowship
- Ho, J.L and Fei Kang, "Auditor Choice and Audit Fees in Family Firms: Evidence from the S&P 1500", forthcoming in Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory.
- Ho, J.L., A. Wu and Sean X. Xu, “Corporate Governance and Returns on Information Technology Investment: Evidence from an Emerging Market”, Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 32, No.6, 2010, pp. 595-623.
- Ho, J.L., A. Wu, and L.C. Lee, "How Changes in Compensation Affect Employee Performance, Recruitment and Retention—An Empirical Study of A Car Dealership," Contemporary Accounting Research, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 167-199.
- S. Vera-Muñoz, Ho, J.L., and C. Chow, "The Openness of Tacit Knowledge Sharing in Audits: An Exploratory Study and Proposed Framework," Accounting Horizons, Vol. 20, No. 2, June 2006, pp. 133-155.
- Ho, Joanna L., P. Keltyka, and L. R. Keller, "How Information Ambiguity and Contextual Information Affect Managers’ Goal Congruence in Making Investment Decisions?" Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Vol. 31, No. 2, 2005, pp. 163-186.