- Key Research/Interest Areas:
- Competitive marketing strategies
- Game theory
- Distribution channels
- New products
- PhD, MA, Marketing, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1996
- MBA, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, 1992
- BE, Electronics Engineering, REC, Surat, 1988
Professor Rajeev Tyagi’s research focuses on the economics of marketing strategy. He develops quantitative models to examine competitive marketing strategies, distribution channels strategies, and new product introduction strategies.
His research has been published in top journals such as Management Science, Marketing Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Industrial Economics, and Economics Letters.
Professor Tyagi is also a renowned teacher, who has won multiple school- and university-wide awards for excellence in teaching.
- Tyagi, R.K. (1999), "On the Effects of Downstream Entry," Management Science.
- Tyagi, R.K. (1999), "A Characterization of Retailer Response to Manufacturer Trade Deals," Journal of Marketing Research.
- Tyagi, R.K. (2000), "Sequential Product Positioning under Differential Costs," Management Science.
- Tyagi, R.K. (2001), "Why do Suppliers Charge Larger Buyers Lower Prices?," Journal of Industrial Economics.
- Tyagi, R.K. (2004), "Technological Advances, Transaction Costs, and Consumer Welfare," Marketing Science.
- Tyagi, R.K. (2005), "Do Strategic Conclusions Depend on How Price is Defined in Models of Distribution Channels?" Journal of Marketing Research.
- Tyagi, R.K. (2006), "New Product Introductions and Failures under Uncertainty," International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Dukes, A. and Tyagi, R.K. (2009), "Pricing in vitro Fertilization Procedures," Health Economics.
- Liu, Y. and Tyagi, R.K. (2011), "Benefits of Competitive Upward Channel Decentralization," Management Science.
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Service Award, University of California, Irvine 2014.
- ISMS Doctoral Consortium, Faculty Fellow, 2006.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of California, Irvine, 2003.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, MBA program, 2002.
- American Marketing Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 1995.
- Business Week Award for academic excellence, MBA program, 1991.
- Dr. K. Nath Public Trust Award for academic excellence, MBA program, 1991.
- National Merit Scholar, Engineering program, 1984-88