- Title: Assistant Professor
- Office Phone: 949.824.0030
- Office Location: SB 342
- Email: email@example.com
- Key Research/Interest Areas:
- Economics of Digitization of Information
- Economics of Privacy
- On-line Social Networks and Society
- Digital Goods Supply Chain
- Sourcing of IT Services
- Ph.D. in Economics, University of Southern California
- Master’s in Economics, University of Southern California
- Master’s in Business Administration, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmadabad
- Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Professor Shivendu is an accomplished researcher in the areas of economics of information systems. His research focuses on the confluence of technology, economics and public policy. His research interests lay in the areas of pricing and piracy of information goods, personalization and privacy in online markets, IT services delivery and outsourcing, and digital goods supply chain. One of his early works on privacy in online markets won the Best Paper Award in CIST 2003. Professor Shivendu has been published in the Management Science, Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Information Systems and Information Technology and Management. A talented presenter and coach, Professor Shivendu has participated in numerous conferences and workshops around the world.
Before moving to academia, Professor Shivendu was a member of the Indian Administrative Service and held senior positions in the Government in India including Secretary, Ministry of Health, Government of Jharkhand; Chairman, State Electricity Board, and Secretary, Ministry of Disaster Management.
1. Chellappa, R.K., and Shivendu, S., “Mechanism Design for "Free" but "No Free Disposal" Services: The Economics of Personalization Under Privacy Concerns,” Management Science, Vol. 56, No. 10, pp. 1766-1780, October 2010.
2. Chellappa, R.K., and Shivendu, S., “An Economic Model of Privacy: A Property Rights Approach to Regulatory Framework,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp.193-225, Winter 2008.
3. Chellappa, R.K., and Shivendu, S., “A Model of Advertiser - Portal Contracts: Personalization Strategies under Privacy Concerns,” Information Technology and Management, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 7-19, 2006.
4. Chellappa, R.K., and Shivendu, S., “Managing_Piracy: Pricing_and_Sampling_Strategies for Digital Experience Goods in Vertically Segmented Markets,” Information Systems Research, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 400–417, December 2005.
5. Chellappa, R.K., and Shivendu, S., “Economics of Technology Standards: Implications for Movie Piracy in a Global Context,” Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 20, No.2, pp. 137 – 168, Fall 2003.
Honors and Awards
- Nominee – Best Paper Award, 15th INFORMS (CIST-2010), Austin, TX 2010
- Best Paper Award - 8th INFORMS (CIST-2003), Atlanta, GA
- Nominee - Best Paper Award, HICSS-36, Big Island, HI
- National Merit Scholarship, Government of India
- Graduate School Merit Fellowship Award, University of Southern California
- HLL Industrial Scholarship, Indian Institute of Management
- Merit Scholarship, Indian Institute of Technology