The application for Fall 2017 is now live!
Thank you for your interest in our doctoral program. Click HERE to access the online application and should you have any questions do not hesitate to contact our PhD Program at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit the application (and supporting documents, if any) is January 4, 2017. Thank you.
You are responsible for having GMAT or GRE scores, and TOEFL (if required), sent directly to UC Irvine/The Paul Merage School of Business, by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) (or by IELTS International if sending IELTS in lieu of TOEFL).
Required application documentation for the Ph.D. program includes:
- The Paul Merage School of Business online Application for Admission. The online application for Fall 2017 will be up starting September 2016. Please note: We do not accept the on-line applications provided by the UC Irvine Graduate Division Office.
- Application fee (U.S. $105.00 for domestic applicants; $125.00 for international applicants) to be paid by credit card only through the online application system.
- One copy of official transcripts from all colleges and universities. (Legible unofficial copies of transcripts will also be accepted for admission review and can be uploaded through our online application system.) A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent) from the undergraduate institution is required. [If attended (or attending) an international academic institution, we also need one copy of of degree certificates from each international university from which you received a degree, stating that the degree has been conferred and showing the date of conferral.]
- Three letters of recommendation are required. Those not using the online recommendation system, please use the pre-formatted Recommendation and Waiver forms provided by UC Irvine's Graduat Division for each recommender (Scroll down to "Paper Submission"). These letters need to be mailed to PhD Program Office, The Paul Merage School of Business, 4293 Pereira Drive, SB1, Suite 3235, Irvine, CA 92697-3125 (Attn: Noel Negrete)
- Official score on the GMAT or GRE sent directly from the ETS. You are also encouraged to submit an unofficial GMAT or GRE score copy if it is available. Test scores older than September 2012 are not accepted for Fall 2017 entry date. No set minimum, however, scores of 700 on the GMAT or 1300 on the GRE for the verbal and quantitative components is strongly recommended for a competitive application. (If taking the newer version of GRE, the above score is equivalent to 320 or above.) [GRE institution code: 4859]
International Applicants: Please read #6- 8, all others go to #9.
- Official score on the TOEFL sent directly from the ETS. The TOEFL is required for all applicants whose primary language is not English. Test scores older than September 2015 are not accepted for Fall 2017 entry. For admissions purposes, a minimum score of 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 100 (internet based) is required. You may also take IELTS in lieu of the TOEFL, please go to #7 below...
- Official IELTS score sent directly from IELTS International. As an alternative to the TOEFL and TOEFL iBT you may submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). You must submit a Test Report (TRF) to: Ph.D. Program Office, The Paul Merage School of Business, 4293 Pereira Drive, SB1, Suite 3235, Irvine, CA 92697-3125 (Attn: Noel Negrete). For admission purposes, an overall minimum score of 7, with a score of no less than 6 on any individual module, is required. IELTS test scores older than September 2015 are not accepted.
- In addition to the TOEFL/IELTS requirement, an official score on the English Proficiency Exam, for students whose primary language is not English must be on file. Our financial support package requires that students work for the university as Teaching Assistants (T.A.s), therefore international students need to have passed (or will pass) an approved speak exam before securing a T.A. position. You can either take the test prior to admission OR you can take a UCI speak test when admitted into our program.
International applicants can fulfill this requirement by passing one of the following exams:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Testing (TOEFL iBT) is administered by ETS in U.S. centers and abroad. A score of 26 or above in the speaking portion will satisfy this requirement. [TOEFL institution code: 4859]
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is available in over 120 countries. A score of 8 or above in the Speaking portion will satisfy this requirements.
- Spoken Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) which is available at UC Irvine only after a student is admitted. A score of 50 or above will satisfy this requirement.
Note: Test scores older than September 2015 are not accepted.
Important notice regarding TOEFL/IELTS Requirement (#6-#7 only)
A student will receive a waiver to the TOEFL or IELTS requirement for the purposes of admission to a UC Irvine graduate program if the student completed all the requirements for their high school diploma, bachelor’s degree, or an advanced degree in a country where the primary and/or dominant language is English and English was the language of instruction of the school were the requirements were completed. PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHED DOCUMENT FOR FURTHER DETAILS ON TOEFL REQUIREMENT. TOEFL policy.pdf
9. Statement of Purpose (your goals in pursuing the Ph.D. program). You will be able to complete this section when you apply online. Your statement should include: a clear set of academic objectives and goals, reasons why you have chosen a particular area of specialization, your academic or professional accomplishments which would be relevant to the pursuit of the Ph.D. program and, if possible, a few sentences on how your interests fit with the research interests of the faculty in your chosen area. Specifically, these are the three essay questions you will be answering when completing the application.
- Discuss your career objectives upon completion of the PhD program.
- Please give the academic field (e.g. accounting, finance, information systems,marketing, operations and decision technologies, organization and management, and strategy) you wish to pursue and your specific research interests, if appropriate. If there are UC Irvine faculty members whose research closely match your own, please identify them.
- Please give a brief, candid evaluation of yourself and your preparation for study in your chosen field. Include some discussion of the abilities and other attributes you believe are your strengths and some discussion of areas you would like to develop more fully.
10. Sample of writing skills (optional). This would include a previously prepared paper (research report, essay, master’s thesis, case study) that is generally indicative of the applicant’s interest and capabilities. If submitting a writing sample, please keep it less than 25 pages, if possible.
11. Diversity and Graduate Opportunity Fellowships: UCIrvine’s commitment to diversity is exemplified by providing sources of funding for students from diverse backgrounds. The diversity fellowships place an emphasis on supporting students who can add diversity to our graduate programs and the academy. By eliminating the need for employment during the fellowship year, this funding allows more time to focus on research and academics. Each year, a number of diversity fellowships are awarded to entering and continuing UCIrvine graduate students. These comprehensive funding packages offer our diverse student population the opportunity to acquire and develop advanced research skills through faculty mentoring relationships.
For more information and to see if you qualify, please visit www.grad.uci.edu/funding/fellowships-awards/diversity/index.html. (If you apply, please note deadlines as these are final and extensions are not granted by the campus.)
The completed application form and all supporting documents, except GMAT or GRE scores and TOEFL or IELTS scores, should be mailed in one package to the following address.
UCI, The Paul Merage School of Business
4293 Pereira Drive
SB 1, Suite 3235
Irvine, CA 92697-3125