Financial Aid


All applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships and are informed of any award upon admission. Criteria for scholarships include academic record (GPA), GMAT/GRE score, and work and leadership experience.

Federal and Private Loans

US citizens and permanent residents may apply for federal need-based financial aid in the form of student loans to cover all educational expenses including tuition, fees, room, board, books, travel and miscellaneous expenses up to the cost of attendance. In order to be considered for federal financial aid as a graduate student, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and request that your information be sent to the University of California, Irvine, school code 001314. Once you have received your Financial Aid Award Notification, you need to go to the UCI financial aid website and choose “Log on to My Aid” to complete the process.

There are a number of lenders who provide private loans. UCI has developed a system-wide private loan lender list that is based solely on factors related to the borrower’s best interest. To begin your search, enter "University of California, Irvine" in the School field and select "Graduate Business" from the drop down menu. 

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching assistantships within the Merage School are reserved for our PHD students and second year Full-Time MBA students. Opportunities in assistantships for our first year Full-Time MBA students may exist in other departments on campus depending on your area of expertise.  

International Students

There are several private loan options available for our international graduate students. International students interested in applying for a private loan must have a credit worthy co-signer who is a US citizen or permanent resident. UCI has developed a system-wide private loan lender list that is based solely on factors related to the borrower’s best interest. To begin your search, enter "University of California, Irvine" in the School field and select "International" from the drop down menu. 

Military and Veterans

The Paul Merage School of Business appreciates the service of US military and veterans and is honored to be participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program. 

Links and Resources



Must I be accepted for admission before I apply for financial aid?


No. You may apply for financial aid as early as October 1 for the next school year.


Is my enrollment deposit applied toward my Fall quarter fees?


Yes, your enrollment deposit will appear as a credit on your Fall quarter ZOT bill.


How do I pay my registration fees?


UC Irvine’s official billing statement, the ZOT Bill, will be e-mailed to you prior to the beginning of each quarter. Your ZOT bill will indicate the quarterly tuition, the due date and any financial aid credit(s) which may be applied to your account. Tuition will be paid automatically for students who receive financial aid that covers the full cost of tuition and are enrolled in a minimum of 6 units.

Students who owe a tuition balance can mail their payment to the UCI Cashier's Office OR pay the tuition via electronic check by accessing their ZOT account. The Cashier’s Office does not accept credit card payments.

UCI also offers the PACE program for payment of fees.


Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?


Yes. You must submit a new FAFSA and/or private loan application each new academic year.


How will I know if my financial aid application file is complete?


You can check the status of your financial aid application file on My Aid.


When will I receive my financial aid award?


If you have been awarded a scholarship, you will be notified in your Letter of Admission. We begin emailing all other financial aid award notifications in June. When you receive your financial aid award email depends on your admission date and when you completed your financial aid file.


What if I borrow more than my tuition? 


You may use funds in excess of your tuition to pay for indirect educational costs such as living expenses, books, supplies, etc. After your aid has been applied toward your tuition fees, any remaining financial aid will be disbursed to you on the first day of the quarter. Federal regulations do not allow UCI to disburse the funds prior to the beginning of each quarter. You can request the funds be electronically deposited by providing your bank account information at DEFT on your ZOT account.

More information:

Alda Ruggiero

Kristin Roteliuk

State of California Disclosure: Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of repayment options including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide.

Students considering student loans need to be aware of the differences between federal student loans and private student loans:

  • Federal student loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options including, but not limited to, income-based and income-contingent repayment plans, as well as loan forgiveness benefits that private lenders are not required to provide.
  • Federal direct loans are available to most students regardless of income. Other qualification criteria do apply. For more information, visit
  • Private student loan lenders can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time depending on market conditions.
  • The interest rate on a private loan may depend on the borrower's and/or co-signer's credit rating.
  • Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees and students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with, the private student loan included in their financial aid award package before accepting the loan. Students should contact the lender of the private student loan or their financial aid office if they have any questions about a private student loan.