With the pandemic of 2020, the delivery, receiving and payment for healthcare services has changed forever. Telehealth, movement to outpatient, unclear government regulations, and artificial intelligence are but a few of the trends that have now become the norm. And the business of healthcare must change as well. Healthcare business leaders must acquire new knowledge and skills in order for their organizations to survive and thrive in these tumultuous times. The change also presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for those who can embrace this time of fundamental business transformation.
Traditional education and training have not prepared healthcare professionals for the new environment. In response to this need, the Office of Executive Education at top- ranked UCI Paul Merage School of Business presents the prestigious Certificate in Leadership for Healthcare Management (CLHM) program. Now is the time to acquire the new knowledge and skills necessary to thrive and lead in the evolving healthcare landscape.
“We’ve been talking about change and transformation in healthcare for 2 decades. Now it is here. Leaders must embrace and learn new ways to be successful; there is no more waiting. CLHM is designed to meet that need, with education, tools and techniques that are relevant and impactful in today’s healthcare environment.”
- Richard Afable MD, MPH, Lecturer, UCI Merage School of Business, Former CEO, Hoag Hospital and St. Joseph Hoag Health
Moving the Needle: Program Objectives
- Obtain greater understanding of the major trends in healthcare delivery, payment and value-based care
- Learn the skills and acquire tools necessary to lead transformational change and solve unprecedented challenges in the healthcare industry
- Become familiar with the future trends effecting how medical services will be provided and received
- Utilize an online portal to access pre-readings, homework and additional educational materials.
- World-class Merage School faculty pair with highly experienced, healthcare industry executive practitioners to deliver relevant and practical modules
- High touch digital delivery utilizing breakout rooms allowing participants to work in small teams on case studies and exercises on real-world applications
- Interactive sessions delivered through live Zoom sessions with faculty and industry experts
- Approximately 70 hours of learning with 40 hours of interactive virtual instruction and facilitation
- Program-specific Educational Container website enhances the learning experience
- Strategy of Healthcare
- Team-based Care
- Financial Management of the Healthcare Enterprise
- Healthcare Policy
- Value Proposition: Volume to Value
- Leading Change
- Critical Thinking
- Emotional Intelligence
- Negotiation, Power and Influence
- Capstone: Putting It All Into Practice
* Please note content may be subject to change during course development
Who Should Attend?
- Clinicians and healthcare professionals who want to drive personal and organizational advancement
- Leaders, managers, and administrators from hospitals, medical device companies, pharmaceutical companies, and health insurance firms
- Product and service innovators who have a vision of the industry’s future
- Individuals from all disciplines who are passionate about the healthcare industry and are willing to transform in a time of fundamental change
Richard Afable, M.D.
President and Chair of the Board, MindOC / BeWell Orange County
Chair of the Board of Trustees, California Association of Hospitals and Health
Former Chief Executive Officer, Concierge Key Health
Dr. Richard Afable is the retired CEO of St. Joseph Hoag Health, the largest hospital-based health system in Orange County, CA. Previous to the affiliation with St. Joseph Health, Dr. Afable was the President & CEO of Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, based in Newport Beach and Irvine CA. Dr. Afable was also the Chief Medical Officer of Catholic Health East, now Trinity Health, an east coast health system comprised of 31 hospitals and 45 long term care facilities.
Before joining Catholic Health East, Dr. Afable was the founder and President/Chief Executive Officer of Preferred Physician Partners (PPP), an Ohio-based physician practice management company that supported physician groups and provider networks. He has also served as an Associate Professor of Medicine at Wake Forest University from 1991 to 1996 and as Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at Northwestern University from 1983 to 1991.
Early in his career, Dr. Afable spent ten years in private practice in Chicago. Dr. Afable received his BS degree from Loyola University in Chicago and an MD from the Loyola Stritch School of Medicine. He obtained his MPH degree from the University of Illinois School of Public Health and a certificate in business administration from Villanova University. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.
Faculty and Visiting Faculty
Romilla A. Batra, MD, MBA
Clinical Professor of Medicine, Faculty Member, The Paul Merage School of Business, UC Irvine
Chief Medical Officer, SCAN Health Plan
Dr. Romilla Batra currently serves as the Chief Medical Officer of SCAN Health Plan, a senior focused MAPD health plan. In her current role, she is responsible for SCAN’s programs including medical policy, community benefit and population health management. Dr. Batra helps lead initiatives at SCAN to deliver high value care based on the triple aim. She also leads physician engagement strategies with SCAN’s provider partners to advance best practices related to senior care. . She is a board-certified internist and prior to joining SCAN had worked as a Medical Director at University of California Irvine (UCI) School of Medicine.
Associate Professor of Organization and Management
PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago
Chris Bauman's research addresses how people make sense of and respond to their social environment, including the individuals, groups, and organizations with whom they interact. One line of his research focuses on how individuals determine issues of ethics and fairness. This work includes studies of individual decision making, group diversity, and corporate social responsibility. Another line of his research examines information processing in negotiation and its implications for tactics that can increase individual or mutual gains.
Lecturer, Operations and Decision Technologies
UCI Paul Merage School of Business
Born and raised in Germany, Dr. Thomas Eppel holds a PhD in Mathematical Psychology from the University of Southern California. He taught at various universities both in the U.S. and in Europe, including Purdue University, Pepperdine, TIAS and Mannheim Business School. He currently teaches at the Paul Merage School of Business at UC Irvine. He has published numerous articles, book chapters and reports in the areas of decision and risk analysis, fields in which he has considerable consulting experience. He authored a textbook and developed instructional software in statistics. His teaching awards include the R.B. and Mary Stewart Distinguished Teaching Award at Purdue University and an award for Innovation in Teaching from UC Irvine, as well as many awards given by students. He is a sought-after speaker and shared his views on education during the inaugural TEDx conference at UCI in the spring of 2012.
Associate Professor of Strategy
PhD, Northwestern University
John Joseph is an Associate Professor of Strategy at the University of California Irvine’s Paul Merage School of Business. John received his PhD from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. He also holds an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. John has taught in the full-time, part-time and executive education programs at Kellogg, has taught in the core curriculum for Duke’s full-time MBA program, and now teaches core strategy (full and part-time) and executive education programs at UC Irvine. He is a decorated instructor who has received several teaching awards.
Associate Professor of Finance
Faculty Director, Center for Investment and Wealth Management
PhD, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Professor Schwarz has been at the Paul Merage School of Business since July 2008. Prior to arriving at UCI, he received his Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. During his doctoral studies, he was also a Visiting Doctoral Fellow at Yale University’s International Center of Finance in 2007 and the Advisory Editor at the Review of Financial Studies. He received his B.S. from Babson College in Wellesley, MA. Prior to receiving his doctorate, Professor Schwarz worked in the IT industry writing custom applications for medium sized businesses.
“This program better prepared me to be successful in the evolving healthcare environment. The renowned professors and real-world experts were phenomenal, and the interaction with seasoned colleagues greatly enhanced my learning inside and outside of the classroom.”
Kim L. Mikes, MBA, BSN, RN, CNOR, SVP, COO, CNO, Hoag