Focus on Career Development
One of the benefits of joining the MFin program is the individual focus on employment and career coaching. Our Career Services team works individually with students to prepare for the recruitment and job interview process. We help students identify the best career opportunities to pursue.
Some students enter the MFin program with focused career objectives, many others do not. Regardless of where you are in the process, we are ready to partner with you to help you achieve your personal career goals through three key pillars:
- Individual Career Advising
- Industry Events and Connections
In addition, the MFin program is designed to assist students in preparing for the CFA exam. The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is the highest distinction in the investment management profession and provides a strong understanding of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
Individual Career Advising
The purpose of the initial consultation appointment is to discuss your career goals and to provide you with an overview of MFin Career Services. We will also explore the career options MFin students may pursue and consider which area fits best with your strengths, skills, and interests.
Resume and Cover Letter Reviews: A concise resume and well-written cover letter is sometimes your first interaction with an employer, so it is important to make a good first impression. MFin Career Services provides guidance and instruction on how to create a quality resume and cover letter.
Mock Interviews: Once an employer has reviewed your cover letter and resume, it is imperative that you perform well during an interview. MFin Career Services works with students to prepare for phone, video, and in-person interviews by conducting mock interviews and providing constructive feedback to help improve interview skills.
Your required ProSeminar course is designed to provide both a review of foundational career management skills and concepts that you have likely learned about before, along with strategies to take your foundational skills to the next level. Throughout the four quarters we spend together in this course, you can expect to cover topics such as the following:
- Career Visioning and Individual Strengths Exploration
- Creating an Exceptional Resume and Cover Letter
- Job Search Strategy
- LinkedIn Best Practices
- Networking Strategies
- Interview Preparation and Mock Interviews
- Developing a Strategic, Practical 5-Year Plan
- Offer Negotiation
Industry Events and Connections
Events: Merage Career Services and UCI provide structured events throughout the year to help students connect with employers and the local business community. Examples of these events include:
- Career Fairs – Hosted each quarter by the UCI Division of Career Pathways.
- Day in the Life Events – Hosted annually by Merage Career Services, these events are designed to connect students with industry professionals to share advice and best practices.
- Company Site Visits – Hosted by Merage Career Services as requested by employers.
Resources: As a student at the Merage School, you will have access to resources both through the Merage Career Center and the UCI Division of Career Pathways. Resources include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Dual access to both the Merage School job board as well as the University job board
- A database of company contacts that is updated and maintained by Merage Career Services
- Online resources and software designed to help you practice your job search strategies – from company research to resume building to interview preparation.
Careers in Finance
The majority of MFin graduates seek entry-level and mid-level opportunities in corporate finance, wealth management, investment banking, commercial banking, and real estate. A few graduates may pursue doctoral studies in a related field. Below is a select listing of finance positions and industries that students may pursue.
- Benefits Officer
- Budget Analyst
- Cash Manager
- Chief Financial Officer
- Finance Analyst
- Finance Manager
- Risk Management Specialist
- Account Manager
- Client Associate
- Financial Planner
- Investment Advisor
- Portfolio Manager
- Relationship Manager
- Research Analyst
- Wealth Manager
- Managing Director
- Compliance Officer
- Credit Analyst
- Relationship Manager
- Risk Manager
- Asset Manager
- Investor Associate
- Loan Analyst
- Mortgage Broker
- Mortgage Originator
- Portfolio Manager
- Adjunct Faculty
- PhD in Finance