Master of Finance | Career Impact
Focus On Career Development
One of the many benefits of joining the MFin program is the individual focus on employment and career coaching. Our Career Services team works with you individually to create strategies around the recruitment and job interview process identifying your personal strengths and how that aligns with the positions available. We help you discover the best career opportunities to pursue to meet your career goals.
Some students enter the MFin program with focused career objectives, many others are looking to explore the different sectors of finance. Regardless of where you are in the process, we are ready to partner with you to help you achieve your personal career goals through three key pillars:
- Individual Coaching and Strategy Sessions
- Proseminar Workshops and Professional Development Events
- Connection Events and Networking Resources
In addition, the MFin program is designed to assist you in preparing for the CFA exam. The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is the highest distinction in the investment management profession and provides a strong understanding of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
- 85% Placement Rate After 6 Months of Graduation
- $68K Starting Salary
- Irvine Home to One-Third of All Fortune 500 Companies
The Master of Finance program provides practical training in an environment that emphasizes leadership. In the future, I hope to use these skills to become a knowledgeable and influential figure within my company.Emily Lee, MFin '20
Career Services Information
The purpose of the initial consultation appointment is to discuss your career goals and to provide you with an overview of MFin Career Services. We also explore the career options you may pursue and consider which area fits best with your strengths, skills and interests.
Resume and Cover Letter Reviews: A concise resume and well-written cover letter is sometimes your first interaction with an employer, so it is important to make a good first impression. MFin Career Services provides guidance and instruction on how to create a quality resume and cover letter.
Mock Interviews: Once an employer has reviewed your cover letter and resume, it is imperative that you perform well during an interview. MFin Career Services works with students to prepare for phone, video and in-person interviews by conducting mock interviews and providing constructive feedback to help improve interview skills.
Our required ProSeminar course is designed to provide both a review of foundational career management skills and concepts that you have likely learned about before, along with strategies to take those skills to the next level. Throughout the four quarters we spend together in this course, you can expect to cover topics such as the following:
- Career Visioning and Individual Strengths Exploration
- Creating an Exceptional Resume and Cover Letter
- Job Search Strategy
- LinkedIn Best Practices
- Networking Strategies
- Interview Preparation and Mock Interviews
- Developing a Strategic, Practical 5-Year Plan
- Offer Negotiation
Events: Merage School Career Services and UCI provide structured events throughout the year to help students connect with employers and the local business community. Examples of these events include:
- Career Fairs – Hosted each quarter by the UCI Division of Career Pathways.
- Day in the Life Events – Hosted annually by Merage School Career Services, these events are designed to connect you with industry professionals to share advice and best practices.
- Company Site Visits – Hosted by Merage School Career Services as requested by employers.
Resources: As a student at the Merage School, you will have access to resources both through the Merage School Career Center and the UCI Division of Career Pathways. Resources include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Dual access to both the Merage School job board as well as the University job board
- A database of company contacts that is updated and maintained by Merage School Career Services
- Online resources and software designed to help you practice your job search strategies – from company research to resume building and interview preparation.