Master of Science in Biotechnology Management
This joint graduate degree will prepare students for leadership roles in biotechnology, science, and engineering-based companies through a curriculum comprised of courses from the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (MB&B) in the School of Biological Sciences, the Department of Biomedical Engineering in The Henry Samueli School of Engineering, and The Paul Merage School of Business. Career visioning, ProSeminar training, advising and other resources are available through the Merage School Career Center.
- Advanced training in biotechnology through an 8 unit teaching laboratory
- Research with a faculty member in the School of Biological Sciences or Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Intensive on-campus 5-day residential, Responding to Dynamic Times: Thinking Strategically in Business, that involves case analysis, group problem solving, and group presentations as a means of developing the skills and strategies associated with effective managerial action
- Merage Consulting Projects course: An experiential learning component where student teams, under the guidance of professors, conduct a consulting project with a biotechnology or biological sciences-based company. Teams present innovative solutions to a real strategic challenge faced by the company, and learn business insights from and present their findings to senior management at the organization.
- Students learn how to develop a formal business plan during either the Entrepreneurship or New Venture Management elective courses.
- A capstone course addresses a number of management issues in the biotech industry including finance, product development, pharmaceuticals, project management, regulatory affairs and ethics. Biotech industry guest lecturers are invited to speak.
- ProSeminar course in the first year provides students with information and practical skills for success in the MSBTM program and career planning.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test has been waived this year and is no longer required, but can be submitted if desired.
- The MSBTM program is STEM-designated and allows up to 36 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) upon graduation. This longer duration is attractive to companies interested in providing immigration sponsorship to international students.
The dual focus on biotechnology and business prepared me to transition seamlessly into my current role as Associate Marketing Manager at Penumbra, Inc. The advanced coursework in biological sciences equipped me with critical thinking skills required to grasp the technical aspects of sophisticated medical devices. The core and elective business classes with the MBA cohort prepared me to confidently take on and execute the initial responsibilities assigned to me. Above all, the outstanding career coaching was really the biggest ingredient to my success in getting my dream job!Rishi Viswanathan, MSBTM Class of 2020
Some Employers of Our Graduates