Focus on Career Development
One of the benefits of joining the MSBA program is the individual focus on employment and career coaching. Our Career Services team works individually with students to prepare for the recruitment and job interview process. We help students identify the best career opportunities to pursue.
Some students enter the MSBA program with focused career objectives, many others do not. Regardless of where you are in the process, we are ready to partner with you to help you achieve your personal career goals through three key pillars:
- Individual Career Advising
- Industry Events and Connections
As a Master of Science in Business Analytics student, you will participate in ProSeminar, our unique, three-quarter long course that is coordinated with the Merage School Career Center. This course provides you with practical skills for your career success by focusing on:
- Career Planning
- Job Search Strategies and Tactics
- Resume Building
- Interview Preparation
- Networking Techniques
- Salary Negotiation
- Public Speaking
- Business Writing Skills
The process begins during Orientation with Career Visioning and Professional Plan Development activities that set the foundation for your job search and your career path for the next 5 years. In addition, the Career Center maintains an extensive network of hiring organizations and provides resources and activities to help you make important career connections.
Individual Career Advising
The purpose of the initial consultation appointment is to discuss your career goals and to provide you with an overview of MSBA Career Services. We will also explore the career options MSBA students may pursue and consider which area fits best with your strengths, skills, and interests.
Resume and Cover Letter Reviews: A concise resume and well-written cover letter is sometimes your first interaction with an employer, so it is important to make a good first impression. MSBA Career Services provides guidance and instruction on how to create a quality resume and cover letter.
Mock Interviews: Once an employer has reviewed your cover letter and resume, it is imperative that you perform well during an interview. MSBA Career Services works with students to prepare for phone, video, and in-person interviews by conducting mock interviews and providing constructive feedback to help improve interview skills.
Your required ProSeminar course is designed to provide both a review of foundational career management skills and concepts that you have likely learned about before, along with strategies to take your foundational skills to the next level. Throughout the four quarters, we spend together in this course, you can expect to cover topics such as the following:
- Career Visioning and Individual Strengths Exploration
- Creating an Exceptional Resume and Cover Letter
- Job Search Strategy
- LinkedIn Best Practices
- Networking Strategies
- Interview Preparation and Mock Interviews
- Developing a Strategic, Practical Professional Development Plan
- Offer Negotiation
Industry Events and Connections
Events: Merage Career Services and UCI provide structured events throughout the year to help students connect with employers and the local business community. Examples of these events include:
- Career Fairs – Hosted each quarter by the UCI Division of Career Pathways.
- Day in the Life Events – Hosted annually by Merage Career Services, these events are designed to connect students with industry professionals to share advice and best practices.
- Company Site Visits – Hosted by Merage Career Services as requested by employers.
- Career Night – Hosted annually by Merage Career Services in the Fall to Build relationships with the local business community.
Resources: As a student at the Merage School, you will have access to resources both through the Merage Career Center and the UCI Division of Career Pathways. Resources include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Dual access to both the Merage School job board as well as the University job board
- A database of company contacts that is updated and maintained by Merage Career Services
- Online resources and software designed to help you practice your job search strategies – from company research to resume building to interview preparation.
Careers in Analytics
The majority of MSBA graduate will be looking for entry to mid-level roles in data analytics, data science, business intelligence, marketing analytics, & operations. A few of our graduates may pursue doctoral studies or careers in academia. Employment options are varied and often depend on previous experience or educational background. Careers in Business Analytics span nearly all industries and sectors.
Companies that Recruit our Students:
Citrus Technology, Ltd.
Mazda North American Ops