Flex MBA | Career Impact
Your MBA investment will yield ever-changing career opportunities. In order to take advantage of them, you will need sharp career management skills to leverage throughout the life of your career.
We offer an array of resources to help build and polish your career management skills as well as personalized advice to help you tackle complex career issues.
As an MBA student, you are connected to companies in a variety of ways, including on-campus presentations, on-campus interviews, our online resume database, resume referrals, company site visits, and our MBA Career Night and MBA & Masters Career Fair.
During your first and second year, we focus on career development training, while the third year is focused on career search strategies.
Gina Heitkamp, Class of 2014
CEO, Gengirl Media, Inc.
"I can sit in a meeting with a C-level executive and understand the language and offer my own opinions with confidence."
- UCI Business Plan Competition Winner: First PlacePre-MBA position: General Manager, Cody Ventures Corporation
- Undergraduate: BA in Comparative Literature, Cal State University, Long Beach
- Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/ginaheitkamp
- Specialty areas: Entrepreneurship, marketing, branding, consumer insights, market research, product development
Hamaad Akmal, Class of 2008
Head of International Operations and Global Logistics, GOAT Group
"I was able to develop and execute a strategy for my company and we are now light-years ahead of where we started."
- Pre-MBA position: Senior Manager, Supply Chain Process at Gateway
- Undergraduate: BA, Psychology, UC Riverside
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/hamaad
- Specialty areas: Program Management, contract negotiation, product marketing, business development, enterprise software
Katie Bianchi, Class of 1996
Senior Vice President Human Resources, Capital Group | American Funds
"It's so rewarding for to me to watch the different levels and ages of graduates get involved and network with each other."
- Merage School positions: Dean's Leadership Circle, Dean’s Advisory Board
- Pre-MBA position: HR Administrator, In-N-Out Burger
- Undergraduate: BA in Psychology, Wellesley College
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/pub/katie-bianchi/61/999/794
- Specialty areas: Succession planning, performance management, workforce planning, hospitality, change management, talent acquisition
Jon Rettinger, Class of 2011
President, JFL Network
"I wouldn't be on a path to where I want to go, if it wasn’t for a Merage MBA."
Commentator on CNBC and Fox Business as well as contributing writer to Wireless Week. He ranks in the top 5% globally in social media influence and was one of OC Metro’s top 40 under 40 for 2011.
- Pre-MBA position: Marketing Manager, Nexa Technologies
- Undergraduate: BA in Religion and Classics, University of Rochester
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/jonrettinger
- Twitter: @jon4lakers
- Specialty Areas: social media, consumer electronics, journalism
Jason Pecora, Class of 2011
Senior Content Acquisition Manager, Prime Video TVOD, Amazon
"I was able to completely change my career path from making a connection through a Merage School alum."
- Pre-MBA position: Dealer Parts and Service Manager at Nissan North America, Inc.
- Undergraduate: BS in Marketing, University of Arizona
- Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/jmpecora
- Specialty: Competitive Analysis, marketing strategy, product launch, advertising, direct marketing, integrated marketing, strategic planning
Year 1 - Exploration
- Attend Flex MBA Career Launch
- Use Career Resource library
- Attend Day-in-the-Life Series
- Attend club events
Year 2 - Preparation
- Complete your Professional Development Plan
- Participate in career workshops and mock interviews
- Attend company information sessions
- Participate in the Mentorship Program
Year 3 - Execution
- Post your resume to the Merage School database
- Participate in Career Connections & Recruitment
- Explore online job postings
- Attend the MBA & Masters Career Fair
Online Career Assessment: Career Leader software helps you to clarify your career vision and goals.
Career Resource Library: Access the Merage School online library tool for MBA-related career resources.
Day-in-the-Life Series: Presentations from local executives in your field of interest.
Club Events: By attending student club events, you can network with high-profile executives as well as attend company site visits.
Individual Career Advising: Experienced career advisors partner with you to help advance your career or transition into another industry or job function.
Career Management Workshops: Topics include resume writing, interviewing techniques, salary negotiations, job search strategies and more.
Mock Interviews: Practice your interviewing skills through our web-based video interview module. Career advisors will provide individualized feedback.
Resume Database: Post your resume on our web-based system and gain exposure to hundreds of companies that recruit our MBA students. A separate database is also available for experienced and executive-level job seekers.
Career Connections & Recruitment:
- Attend company information sessions, submit your resume and meet recruiters who visit the campus to interview for career positions.
- Fill out a profile and develop an approved resume so that we can represent you to companies requesting pre-screened applicants.
- Attend MBA Career Night in the Fall and MBA Career Fair in the Spring and sign up for company site visits such as the Bay Area Trek in December.
Job Listings: Explore the hundreds of exclusive online listings of jobs specifically for Merage School students.
Mentorship Program: Students are paired with senior executives in our business community in the Mentorship Program.