Structured so that you progress logically through material, the core courses will give you a thorough and rigorous grounding in the fundamental disciplines of business. The Health Care Executive MBA curriculum focuses on three key drivers of business growth – strategic innovation, information technology, and analytic decision-making – equipping you with the skills to compete in today's complex global economy.
- The 21-month program starts each Fall and concludes in June of the second year.
- Students complete 92 units for the MBA degree including 12 core courses, 3 elective courses and 3 residentials
- Classes are held 1 weekend per month, from Thursday at 7:00 pm to Sunday at 12 noon. Students attend 7 consecutive 10-week quarters, including 1 summer.
- A quarter consists of 3 weekends
- 3 off-site residentials which are 5-days in length each
- Opening residential
- Federal Policy in Health Care residential midway through the program
- Executive Leadership residential
- Responding to Dynamic Times, Thinking Strategically in Organizations (Residential)
- Organizational Behavior for Health Care Executives
- Marketing for Health Care Executives
- Statistics for Health Care Executives
- Leadership/Communication Module A
- Financial Reporting for Health Care Executives
- Leadership/Communication Module B
- Operations Management for Health Care Executives
- Managerial Finance for Health Care Executives
- Economic for Health Care Executives
- Federal Health Care Policy DC Immersion
- Strategic Management for Health Care Executives
- Leadership/Communications Module C
- Competing with Digital
- Executive Leadership (Residential)
You will experience some of the most valuable and enjoyable learning opportunities at our unique off-site residentials, including a second-year course on Federal Policy in Health Care which takes place in Washington D.C.
Opening Residential: Responding to Dynamic Times: Thinking Strategically for Health Care Executives
This experience is designed to prepare you for the rest of your MBA career. You’ll be introduced to your classmates and small-study team and work with them intensively.
- Held for 5 days in an Orange County hotel
- Topics include organizational design, organizational culture and power, group processes, competitive analysis, corporate strategy, and business ethics
- Introduces a variety of instruction methods including case analysis, group presentations, and group-based teamwork
- Format includes group projects, experiential exercises, discussions and formal lectures
- Provides team-building exercises to help foster a collaborative learning environment
Second-Year Residential: Federal Policy in Health Care
This experience takes you to our nation's capital to delve deeply into the complex world of health care policy. Earn up to 30 CME units during this residential.
- Held for 5 days in Washington D.C.
- Gain a better understanding of health care issues and learn firsthand how the legislative and regulatory processes work.
- Topics include: Key Health Issues and the Government, Issues with Medicaid, The Current Health Care Agenda in Congress, Long-Term Trends in Healthcare, Budgetary Crisis, Patient Safety Regulation, False Claims and Investigations, Physician Reimbursement, Tax Treatment Issues of Insurance, Medicare Reform and SCHIP, Influencing Congress, Public Health Preparedness, Intellectual Property and Health Care Policy Initiatives in the New Congress.
- Students meet with health industry leaders, policy analysts, politicians, lobbyists and consumer group leaders.
- May include local visits and tours of the Hart Senate Building, The Cosmos Club, The Heritage Foundation, The Capital Room and the Capital Building.
- Optional cultural events may include visits to museums, historic sites of interest, monument tours, and theater or music performances.
Final Residential: Executive Leadership
The HCEMBA Program culminates in a capstone residential course on Executive Leadership. This residential provides a 360-degree evaluation of each student and allows you to reflect on what you have learned, how you have developed professionally, and how you will shape your future as a business manager and leader.
- Held for 5 days at a Southern California retreat
- Student groups evaluate students to offer constructive feedback
- Provides a clear perspective on your skills as a leader
- Presents a variety of tools to continue to improve your leadership
- Prepares you to take control of your career by creating an explicit career action plan
Note: All program costs, speakers, events, transportation, and hotels are included in your tuition, with the exception of round-trip airfare to the Federal Policy in Health Care Residential. We will make the arrangements for your accommodations for all three residentials.
Specializing Your MBA
During your final quarter in the HCEMBA program, you will have the opportunity to tailor your MBA to your interests through a variety of electives spread across different academic areas. You may also choose to enhance your MBA by completing one of our specializations.
The HCEMBA Program includes three special topics elective courses. If your schedule allows, additional classes are available via cross-enrollment in other Merage School MBA programs, expanding your opportunity for topic choice. Elective courses are offered in the areas of:
- Economics/Public Policy
- Information Systems
- Operations and Decisions Technologies
- Organization and Management
- Real Estate
In partnership with our Centers of Excellence, we offer four MBA specializations:
As a HCEMBA student, you join an exceptional learning community. Our professors are top scholars who have been educated at many of the nation’s most prestigious universities. They consult at Fortune 500 companies, advise global enterprises, and counsel executives at the highest levels. Our real-world practitioners include CEOs and senior leaders from global enterprises. You benefit from the same faculty and practitioners who teach in all the Merage School MBA programs.
Faculty recognition extends far beyond the classroom to include scholarly research that is published in top-tier academic publications. Rather than passing along old information, they create new knowledge, new business models, and bold new solutions. Merage School faculty offer you exceptionally high standards. The level of expertise, rigor and enthusiasm they bring to your education is second to none.
Learn more about the Merage School faculty.