Undergraduate Programs | Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) See below for frequently asked questions

Have questions? We're here to help! 


All students are restricted to 18-units initially during enrollment. This restriction will lift to 20-units on:

September 1 at noon for Fall 2022
December 20 at noon for Winter 2023
March 20 at noon for Spring 2023

If you would like to enroll in more than 20-units, you can submit a Petition for Excess Units form. This form will not be reviewed or processed until after the 20-unit restriction date. Requests to enroll in excess units prior to the 20-unit restriction dates will not be considered.

Submit a Prerequisite Waiver form. Forms will be processed at the end of each business day and you will be able to enroll in the course by 10:00 a.m. PDT the next business day. You will not receive confirmation that it has been approved. Note, prerequisite clearances do not override any other restrictions on courses, including major, new only, and upper-division.

To ensure we have seats for our incoming freshmen and transfers, some courses will be restricted to new students only. BA/BIM majors can waitlist MGMT courses with a new only restriction (NOR) and will be added into the course(s) as space is available. 


We will not be approving any requests for dual enrollment in courses that are scheduled at the same time as a MGMT course regardless of how the course(s) are being offered.

Business Administration majors must have completed 90 units to be eligible to enroll in Upper Division Mgmt courses. If you have any questions about your course schedule, please make an appointment with an advisor via assistme.merage.uci.edu/home

Degree Requirements

Check the UCI Catalogue for courses that count towards each emphasis.

Students are able to complete multiple emphases. However, only one can show on degreeworks. If you would like to change which emphasis appears on your degreeworks, please fill out a Degreeworks Update form.

Courses taken P/NP must be manually added to your DegreeWorks. If you haven't had your DegreeWorks updated after one quarter, please submit the DegreeWorks Updates online form.

Refer to the P/NP Policy for questions about which courses may be taken P/NP.

If you would like to update an area on your degreeworks, please submit a  DegreeWorks Update form.

Students must complete their Lower Division Major courses by the end of their second year. Failure to complete this requirement will result in Academic Probation.

Certainly. As articulation agreements are developed, the information will be available on www.assist.org.


No, emphases are not concentrations and therefore do not appear in an official capacity (diploma or transcript) on your record.

Minors are not noted on diplomas. Minors are posted to academic transcripts.

Diplomas are typically available four months after the end of the quarter in which the student graduated. Degrees are posted on official transcripts approximately six to seven weeks after the end of the quarter in which they are awarded. The degree award date is the last day of the graduating term, or for Summer Session, the last day of Summer Session II.

Diplomas will bear your name exactly as stated in your UCI academic record.

For additional questions about obtaining your diploma, please contact the UCI Registrar’s Office


The application will open Monday of week 3 and the deadline to apply is Friday of week 6 (at 5:00 p.m.). Students will be informed of decisions during Week 1 the following quarter, or over the summer for students applying in Spring.

Please review our Merage Change of Major video for steps on how to submit an application:

We offer Accounting, Innovation & Entrepreneurship and Management minors at The Paul Merage School of Business. Your home school can add the minor to your DegreeWorks and you can enroll in courses each quarter when major restrictions are lifted.

Before you are able to add a double major, you must first confirm that you meet the change of major requirements for your intended second major, which can be found here. Once you confirm you are eligible for your second major, email the Undergraduate Programs Office with a four-year plan, outlining how you intend to complete both majors. You must continue to make progress in the Business Administration major, or may be placed on academic probation for failure to make progress. Provided your academic plan is complete, the Undergraduate Programs Office will submit a double major request on your behalf. You are responsible for ensuring that you meet the requirements for the second major. Please note that you may add one additional year to the normative degree time to complete your second major.