Academic Forms & Resources

Academic Forms & Resources Tools and resources to guide your success

The Merage School and UCI have many tools and resources available to help guide your personal and academic success.

Academic Forms

Below are links to online forms for common advising needs. You must use these forms as we do not accept these types of requests via phone, email or chat.

DegreeWorks Update Form

DegreeWorks Update Form

  • This form is for Business Administration majors who need an adjustment made to their DegreeWorks.
  • This form cannot be used to petition for an exception or substitution; all requested changes must already be approved or articulated on
  • Examples include adding/dropping a minor, applying a course to your emphasis, updating your GEs with AP or transfer units, etc.
  • Requests are processed weekly: submit by 4pm PST on Thursday to have request processed by Friday at 5pm PST.


Prerequisite Clearance Waiver

Prerequisite Clearance Waiver

  • If you completed prerequisites for a MGMT course at other institutions (community colleges, universities/colleges) or through AP/IB exams, use this form to get clearance.
  • For UCEAP Reciprocity/Exchange Students, please fill out this form:
  • NOTE: For MGMT courses only. We cannot clear courses that are outside of the Merage School of Business.
  • Prerequisites are cleared weekly: submit by 4pm PST on Thursday to have your request processed by Friday at 5pm PST.


Course Substitution Petition

Course Substitution Petition

  • This form is for courses taken outside of UC Irvine that you would like to petition to substitute for a UCI course.
  • Please fill out all aspects of the form or it will not be considered for review.
  • Before submitting this form, your equivalent courses need to be on your student record. To do this, please send your transfer transcript over to the Office of Admissions & submit a Student Update Form (
  • For UCEAP/Study Abroad Course Substitution, please fill out this form:
  • NOTE: You will need an Outlook account to be able to access this form. If you do not have an Outlook account, log in and access your account through your UCInetID, and reset your password here: For technical help with this, please reach out to


Excess Units Petition

Excess Units Petition

  • This form is for requesting enrollment in more than 20 units after the 18-unit restriction lifts. (See the UCI Academic Calendar for quarterly dates.)
  • In order to qualify for excess units (above 20), you must have an overall GPA of 3.2 and be in good academic standing. A limit of 24 units is enforced.
  • NOTE: You must be enrolled in classes for the quarter you are making the request. The course(s) you plan to enroll in must be open. If you have waitlisted courses on your schedule, or one of the courses you plan to enroll in is full or waitlisted, your petition will be denied.
  • Petitions received after the 18-unit restriction will be processed weekly on Fridays at 5pm PST.

Academic Plans

Below are resources and tools to utilize as you prepare your draft academic plans and study lists. Feel free to bring a copy to your next academic advising session! 

Policies, Tools, Resources

Courses taken to count toward the BA major requirements must be taken for a letter grade. If you are retaking a course that was originally for a LETTER GRADE, you must retake the course for a LETTER GRADE ONLY - there are no exceptions. All MGMT courses must be taken for a LETTER GRADE, unless they are only offered as P/NP - there are no exceptions.

It is important when making the decision to take a course P/NP or for a letter grade that you keep in mind the following:

To receive a "P" (Pass) and get credit/units, you must earn a grade equivalent to a "C-" or better (beginning Fall 2023). However, if a course is taken for a letter grade, the minimum grade needed for credit would be at least a "D-" in most courses. This is especially important to note for graduating students who are trying to fulfill their unit requirements to graduate. You will need to weigh the risk of taking a course P/NP and not receiving any credit if you earn the equivalent to a D+ grade or lower.

If you are planning to change your major or add a double major, you will be responsible for adhering to the corresponding School’s P/NP policy.

Lower-division writing courses must be completed with a grade of "C-" or better (or a "P" if taking the course for P/NP). If you are taking an upper-division writing course in your major, you must take the course for a letter grade.

We recommend that you see how you are doing in the course throughout the quarter. You have until 5PM on Friday of Week 10 to submit a request to change the grade option of a course. Grade option changes will not be considered after that time – there are no exceptions. You will need to submit an enrollment exception request through Student Access > Applications > Enrollment Exceptions to request any changes (WebReg is not accessible for current quarter changes after Week 2).

If you have any questions about enrollment deadlines or P/NP, please email

The Paul Merage School of Business would like to provide you with some consideration for communicating with UCI faculty via email: 

  • Professionalism: Keep it formal. Be sure to have a salutation, signoff and signature. Avoid using slang and emojis. Proofread before sending. Faculty will expect you to use your .edu email address to contact them (please refrain from using your personal email address).
  • Clarity: Be clear, accurate and brief.
  • Initiative: Faculty are expecting to hear from you, so reach out early. Follow up after 2-5 days if you don't receive a response to your initial email.
  • Empathy: Keep in mind that faculty are also having to adjust to changes and disruptions to their research, work and lives. A little empathy, grace and patience can go a long way.

At The Paul Merage School of Business, we are committed to our students and providing opportunities for them to thrive as a leader in a digitally driven world. Check out our scholarship opportunities here.