PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago
MA, University of Illinois at Chicago
BS, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Corporate Social Responsibility
Chris Bauman's research addresses how people make sense of and respond to their social environment, including the individuals, groups, and organizations with whom they interact. One line of his research focuses on how individuals determine issues of ethics and fairness. This work includes studies of individual decision making, group diversity, and corporate social responsibility. Another line of his research examines information processing in negotiation and its implications for tactics that can increase individual or mutual gains.
His research has been published in top journals, including Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Research in Organizational Behavior, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, and Journal of Cross Cultural Psychology. His work has also been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, the Boston Globe, and the Orange County Register.
- Bartels, D. M., Bauman, C. W., Skitka, L. J., & Medin D. L. (Eds.) (2009). Moral Judgment and Decision Making, Vol. 50 in B. H. Ross (series editor), The Psychology of Learning and Motivation. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Clark, C. J., Bauman, C. W., Kamble, S. V., & Knowles, E. D. (2017). Intentional sin and accidental virtue? Cultural differences in moral systems influence perceived intentionality. Social and Personality Psychological Science, 8, 74-72.
- Bauman, C.W., Tost, L. P., & Ong, M. (2016). Blame the shepherd not the sheep: Imitating higher-ranking transgressors mitigates punishment for unethical behavior. Organizational Behavioral and Human Decision Processes, 137, 123-141.
- Schweinsberg, M., Madan, N., Vianello, M., Sommer, S. A., Jordan, J., Tierney, W., Awtrey, E., Zhu, L., Diermeier, D., Heinze, J., Srinivasan, M., Tannenbaum, D., Bivolaru, E., Dana, J., Davis-Stober, C. P., Du Plessis, C. Gronau, Q. F., Hafenbrack, A. C., Liao, E. Y., Ly, A., Marsman, M., Murase, T., Qureshi, I., Schaerer, M., Thornley, N., Tworek, C. M., Wagenmakers, E-J., Wong, L., Anderson, T., Bauman, C. W., Bedwell, W. L., Brescoll, V., Canavan, A., Chandler, J. J., Cheries, E., Cheryan, S., Cheung, F., Cimpian, A., Clark, M., Cordon, D., Cushman, F., Ditto, P. H., Donahue, T., Frick, S. E., Gamez-Djokic, M., Hofstein Grady, R., Graham, J., Gu, J., Hahn, A., Hanson, B. E., Hartwich, N. J., Hein, K., Inbar, Y., Jiang, L., Kellogg, T., Kennedy, D. M., Legate, N., Luoma, T. P., Maibeucher, H., Meindl, P., Miles, J., Mislin, A., Molden, D. C., Motyl, M., Newman, G., Ngo, H. H., Packham, H., Ramsay, P. S., Ray, J. L., Sackett, A. M., Sellier, A-L., Sokolova, T., Sowden, W., Storage, D., Sun, X., Van Bavel, J. J., Washburn, A. N., Wei, C., Wetter, E., Wilson, C., Darroux, S-C., & Uhlmann, E. L. (2016). The pipeline project: Pre-publication independent replications of a single laboratory’s research pipeline. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 66, 55-67.
- Bauman, C. W., Trawalter, S., & Unzueta, M. M. (2014). Diverse according to whom? Racial group membership and concerns about discrimination shape diversity judgments. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 40, 1354-1372.
- Bauman, C. W., McGraw, A. P., Bartels, D. M., & Warren, C. (2014). Revisiting external validity: Concerns about trolley problems and other sacrificial dilemmas in moral psychology. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 8, 536-554.
- Bauman, C. W., & Mullen, E. (2014). Reconsidering motivation to blame and the distinction between private and public blame. Psychological Inquiry, 25, 197-200.
- Bauman, C. W., & Skitka, L. J. (2012). Corporate social responsibility as a source of employee satisfaction. Research in Organizational Behavior, 32, 63-86.
- Bauman, C. W., Wisneski, D., & Skitka, L. J. (2012). Cubist consequentialism: The pros and cons of an agent-patient template from morality. Psychological Inquiry, 23, 129-133.
- Young, M. J., Bauman, C. W., Chen, N., & Bastardi, A. (2012). The pursuit of missing information in negotiation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 117, 88-95.
- Bauman, C. W., & Skitka, L. J. (2010). Making attributions for behaviors: The prevalence of correspondence bias in the general population. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 32, 269-277.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., & Lytle, B. L. (2009). Limits on legitimacy: Moral and religious convictions as constraints on deference to authority. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 97, 567-578.
- Bauman, C. W., & Skitka, L. J. (2009). Moral disagreement and procedural justice: Moral mandates as constraints to voice effects. Australian Journal of Psychology, 61, 40-49. (Special issue on justice)
- Skitka, L. J., & Bauman, C. W. (2008). Moral conviction as a political motivator: Does it lead to a conservative electoral advantage? Political Psychology, 29, 29-54.
- Bauman, C. W., & Skitka, L. J. (2006). Ethnic group differences in lay philosophies of behavior in the United States. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 37, 438-445.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., Aramovich, N., & Morgan, G. S. (2006). Confrontational and preventative policy responses to terrorism: Anger wants a fight and fear wants “them” to go away. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 28, 375-384.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., & Sargis, E. (2005). Moral conviction: Another determinant of attitude strength, or something more? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88, 895-917.
- Larson, J. R., Jr., Sargis, E., & Bauman, C. W. (2004). Shared knowledge and subgroup influence during decision-making discussions. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 17, 1-18.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., & Mullen, E. (2004). Political tolerance and coming to psychological closure following the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 30, 743-756.
- Mullen, E., Bauman, C. W., & Skitka, L. J. (2003). Avoiding the pitfalls of politicized psychology. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 3, 171-176.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., & Mullen, E. (2016). Morality and justice. In C. Sabbagh and M. Schmitt (Eds.), Handbook of Social Justice Theory and Research (pp. 407-423). New York, NY: Springer Press.
- Wisneski, D. C., Morgan, G. S., & Bauman, C. W. (2016). Moral responsibility. In A. Farazmand (Series Ed.) C. J. Jurkiewicz (Vol. Eds.), Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy. New York, NY: Springer.
- Bartels, D. M., Bauman, C. W., Cushman, F. A., Pizarro, D. A., & McGraw, A. P. (2015). Moral judgment and decision making. In G. Keren and G. Wu (Eds.), Handbook of Judgment and Decision Making (pp. 478-515). Chichester, UK: Wiley.
- Bauman, C. W., & Skitka, L. J. (2009). In the mind of the perceiver: Psychological implications of moral conviction. In B. H. Ross (Series Ed.) D. M. Bartels, C. W. Bauman, L. J. Skitka, & D. L. Medin (Vol. Eds.), Psychology of Learning and Motivation, Vol. 50. Moral Judgment and Decision Making (pp. 339-362). Burlington, MA: Academic Press.
- Skitka, L. J., & Bauman, C. W. (2008). Is morality always an organizational good? A review of organizational justice theory and research. In D. Skarlicki, D. Steiner, & S. Gilliland (Eds.), Research in Social Issues in Management: Vol. 6. Justice, Morality, and Social Responsibility (pp. 1-28). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Bauman, C. W. (2008). Attitude strength. In P. J. Lavrakas (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Survey Research Methods, Vol. 1(p. 42). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., & Lytle, B. L. (2008). Morality as a foundation of leadership and a constraint on deference to authority. In J. B. Ciulla (Series Ed.) C. L. Hoyt, G. G. Goethals, & D. R. Forsyth (Vol. Eds.). Leadership at the Crossroads: Vol. 1. Leadership and Psychology (pp. 300-314). Westport, CT: Praeger Press.
- Skitka, L. J., Bauman, C. W., & Mullen, E. (2008). Morality and justice: An expanded theoretical perspective and empirical review. In E. J. Lawler, S. R. Thye (Series Eds.) K. A. Hegtvedt, & J. Clay-Warner (Vol. Eds.). Advances in Group Processes: Vol. 25. Justice (pp. 1-27). Oxford, UK: Emerald.
- Executive Education Instructor of the Year, 2017
- Full-time MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2017
- Fully-employed MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2017
- UCI Distinguished Assistant Professor Award for Teaching, 2016
- Full-time MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016
- Fully-employed MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2016
- Health Care Executive MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015
- Full-time MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015
- Full-time MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2013
- Fully-employed MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2013
- Full-time MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2012
- Health Care Executive MBA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2012