PhD, Stanford University
MS, Stanford University
MBA, University of Wisconsin
BE, Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute, University of Bombay
Design and marketing of products and services
Customer behavior online
Impact of competitive product, service features, and marketing efforts on consumer choice and market share
Imran Currim is a Distinguished Professor at the University of California, Irvine and Director of the Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Recently, he served The Paul Merage School of Business as Associate Dean of the Undergraduate Program (2012-2014). Prior to that, he served as Associate Dean for Marketing & Student Relations for the Executive MBA Programs (2010-2012), and Associate Dean of the Masters Programs (2008-2010).
Professor Currim was recently named a Distinguished Professor at UCI, the highest campus-level distinction that is reserved for senior faculty who have achieved the highest levels of scholarship over the course of their careers. He also received one of the highest commendations awarded by the UCI Academic Senate, the Distinguished Faculty Lectureship Award.
Consulting, Executive Training, and Teaching
Recognized as an international expert in the area of design and marketing of products and services, and market research.
- Consulted for companies such as Altiris, AT&T, Baxter, Dell, Elcam Medical (Israel), Inabata (U.S. and Japan), Johnson and Johnson, Los Angeles Times, Orange County Register, St. Joseph's Hospital, Twentieth Century Fox, Warner Brothers, and smaller profit and not-for-profit organizations.
- Conducted executive training programs at companies such as Astro Asia (Thailand), Bioscience Webster, British Petroleum, Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC), Conexant, First Auto Works (China), Fluor-Daniel, Ingram-Micro, Microsemi, Merage Foundation Export Program, Orange County Register, Panasonic Avionics, Shinsegae (Korea), and Triage Consulting.
- Received 27 Excellence in Teaching Awards most of which are for his teaching in the Executive and Fully Employed MBA Programs at UCI, New York University, and UCLA.
Service to University and School (see CV for complete list)
- Associate Dean of Undergraduate Program, The Paul Merage School of Business 2012-2014.
- Associate Dean for Marketing & Student Relations, Executive Degree Programs, The Paul Merage School of Business 2010-12.
- Associate Dean of Masters Programs, The Paul Merage School of Business 2008-10.
- Associate Dean of PhD Programs 1995-98.
- 2018-present: Distinguished Professor, University of California, Irvine
- 2004-2018: Chancellor's Professor, University of California, Irvine, re-appointed 2009, and 2014.
- 1991-2004: Professor, University of California, Irvine
- 1989-1991: Associate Professor, University of California, Irvine
- 1987-1989: Associate Professor, NYU Stern School of Business
- 1988: Visiting Associate Professor, Yale School of Organization and Management
- 1979-1987: Assistant Professor, UCLA Anderson School of Management
Other Contact Information
- Beall Center for Innovation: Breanna Hale 949.824.1172
- Faculty Assistant: Ginger Smith 949.824.2022
- Fax: 949.725.2826
- “Information Accessed or Information Available? The Impact on Consumer Preferences Inferred at a Durable Product E-Commerce Website,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, forthcoming (w. O. Mintz and S. Siddarth).
- “Information Processing Pattern and Propensity to Buy: An Investigation of Online Point-of-Purchase Behavior,” Marketing Science, 2013, Vol. 32, No. 5, 716-732 (with O. Mintz and I. Jeliazkov).
- “What Drives Managerial Use of Marketing and Financial Metrics and Does Metric Use Impact
- Performance of Marketing Mix Activities?” Journal of Marketing, 2013, March, Vol. 77, 17-40 (w. O. Mintz).
- “You Get What You Pay For: The Effect of Top Executives’ Compensation on Advertising and R&D Spending Decisions and Stock Market Return,” Journal of Marketing, 2012, September, Vol. 76, 33-48 (w. J. Lim and J. Kim).
- How customers make choices
- How competitive product and service features, marketing mix variables such as price, sales promotion, advertising, and distribution, and customer variables such as loyalty, choice set effects, and background variables, influence customer choice.
- Published articles on this topic in various journals such as the European Journal of Operations Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Inquiry, Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising, Journal of Marketing Research, Management Science, Marketing Letters, Marketing Science, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Served as Area and Associate Editor of Marketing Science, and Management Science for 13 years.
- Currently serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Marketing Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, International Journal of Electronic Business, and International Journal of Internet Marketing and Advertising.
He is the recipient of two of the highest honors in marketing:
- the American Marketing Association William O'Dell Award for "the article judged to have made the most significant five year contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and practice," and
- the American Marketing Association/Houghton Mifflin Distinguished Teaching in Marketing Award, "for contributions to teaching excellence."
Professor Currim’s recent papers have been finalists for:
- the 2003 American Marketing Association Paul E. Green Award for best paper published in Journal of Marketing Research during 2002.
- the 2004 European Marketing Academy Award for best paper published in International Journal of Research in Marketing during 2003.
Professor Currim received:
- Wall Street Journal's 2008 Favorite Professor in an Executive MBA Program.
- Business Week 2006 ranked his marketing course taught in the Executive MBA Program #3 in the world.