MS in Organizational Development, Pepperdine University
Executive Program in Innovation and Organizational Change, Harvard University
Certificate in Literature, Christ Church, Oxford Experience
BS in Journalism, University of Colorado
Marketing & Branding
Lynda Lawrence is an innovation consultant with more than 30 years of experience in a wide variety of industries, government and nonprofit agencies. As Chief Idea Officer of Ideaworks Consulting, she has worked with hundreds of organizations and has won more than 500 awards for creativity, innovation and effectiveness.
At the Merage School, she has taught Innovation Processes, Design & Innovation Management, and Topics in Strategic Innovation since 2002, as well as guest lecturing in the Samueli School of Engineering and the School of Social Sciences. She has conducted workshops in the Leadership and Management Program, and for the Dean’s Advisory Board, the Merage School Faculty and Staff, the Claire Trevor School of the Arts, and the Merage School Business Plan Competition. She is currently an advisor to the Beall Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. She taught Creativity at California State University, Fullerton, for five years and has guest lectured at Chapman University, Fullerton College, the Art Institute, California State University, Long Beach and UC Irvine Extension.
Lawrence founded and led one of Orange County’s top ten advertising agencies for fifteen years, working with clients in restaurants, business to business, health care, entertainment, publishing, technology and social marketing.
She is a Founding Board Member of the UC Irvine Center for Citizen Peacebuilding, an Executive Board Member for Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County, and a consultant to Goodwill Industries. She loves to travel and is currently at work on a book on international innovation.
Selected Publications, News & Honors
She has won more than 500 awards for advertising, innovation and public service, including multiple American Advertising Federation, Creativity, Clio, Ad Council, New York Festivals, Tellys, Mercury, Auroras, Public Relations Society of America, Kidpower, Business and Professional Marketing Association, Marketing Icon, Global Health Care Marketing, International Medical Marketing, International Web Awards, and Literacy in Media, among others. Her work has been featured in professional publications including Adweek, Brandweek, Shoot, Creativity, Print, American Corporate Identity, Technology Marketing, Restaurant Design, Chronicle of Philanthropy, the One Show, Communication Arts, and New York Art Directors Show, among others.
- Chief Idea Officer and Partner, Ideaworks, Irvine, CA
- Consultant in marketing and strategic planning, branding and innovation. Expertise in social marketing, corporate social responsibility, and non-profits, as well as traditional and non-traditional approaches to problem solving in a wide variety of industries. Ideaworks clients have included Pfizer, Edwards LifeSciences, Ingram-Micro, Experian, UCI Extension, The Irvine Company, Western Growers, The Governor’s Office of the Secretary for Education, California Department of Health Services, AIDS Services Foundation, the Children and Families Commission, The Orange County Fair and Exposition Center, Sun Country Bank, Baja Fresh, Western University, Una Mas Restaurants, Red Brick Pizza, BEA Systems, and Graduate School Records, among others.
- Founded one of top ten advertising agencies in Orange County. Clients in health care, technology, consumer, business to business and social marketing have included Taco Bell, Starbucks, Sizzler, Fatburger, Apple Computer, PeopleSoft, Business Week, New Horizons Computer Learning Centers, PIP Printers, Experian, Children’s Hospital of Orange County, Tenet HealthCare, United Way, California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, and WIC (Women, Infants and Children supplemental nutrition program.)
- Winner of more than 500 awards for advertising, innovation and public service, including multiple American Advertising Federation, Creativity, Clio, Ad Council, New York Festivals, Tellys, Mercury, Auroras, Public Relations Society of America, Kidpower, Business and Professional Marketing Association, Marketing Icon, Global Health Care Marketing, International Medical Marketing, International Web Awards, and Literacy in Media, among others.
- Work featured in professional publications including Adweek, Brandweek, Shoot, Creativity, Print, American Corporate Identity, Technology Marketing, Restaurant Design, Chronicle of Philanthropy, the One Show, Communication Arts, and New York Art Directors Show, among others.
- Writer, Creative Director, Editor, ad agencies, magazine and book publishers.
- Founding Board Member, UCI Center for Citizen Peacebuilding, liaison to UCI ArtsBridge, helped establish Peacebuilding Prize awarded to Mikhail Gorbachev, the Dalai Lama, Jimmy Carter and Shirin Ebadi, and Peace
- Wants You conference, 2004.
- Executive Board Member, Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Recipient Thomas Clavell Award, National Community Action Network Award for best public service campaign in U.S., Member Anti-Hunger Coalition.
- Founding Steering Committee, Orange County Coalition for Youth.
- Title Sponsor, all communications for AIDS Walk Orange County, six years, recipient of Communicator Award.
- Former Board Member, Orange County Center for Health.
- Nominee, Clara Barton Award for Outstanding Public Service, American Red Cross
- Nominee, Women in Business Awards, OC Business Journal
- The agency also contributed pro-bono professional services to UCI Citizen Peacebuilding, AIDS Services Foundation, United Way, Coalition of Community Clinics, Planned Parenthood, Orange County Child Abuse Prevention Center, the Literacy Network, Literacy in the Media, Physicians for Social Responsibility, the Summit for Children, CHOC Walk, the National Burn Awareness Coalition, American Cancer Society, and Orange County Children and Families Commission.
- The agency was the recipient of the CAN Award for Creative Solutions to Social Problems from the Ad Council, the Points of Light Award from the Orange County Volunteer Center, the Communicator Award from Planned Parenthood, the Board of Directors Award for Outstanding Public Service from AIDS Services Foundation, and was a member of the California Department of Health Services African American Advisory Council and the Latino 5 a Day Advisory Council.
- The agency sponsored internships since 1992 with California State University, Fullerton, California State University, Long Beach, and the Minority Advertising Training program for the American Association of Advertising Agencies.
- Lecturer, Innovation Processes, Innovation and Design Management, Topics in Strategic Innovation, Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine, 2002-present.
- Lecturer, Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of California, Irvine, 2005.
- Lecturer, Leadership and Management Program, University of California, Irvine, Extension, 2005.
- Instructor, California State University, Fullerton, Creativity and Communications, 1986-91
- Guest Lecturer, California State University, Long Beach, UCI Extension, Cerritos College, Chapman University, UCI Merage School of Business, California State University, Fullerton, Art Center College of Design and the Art Institute of Los Angeles. 1982-2003
- Certificate, Executive Program, Innovation and Organizational Change, JFK School of Government, Harvard University, 2000
- Certificate, Literature, Christ Church, Oxford, England, Summer Program, 2004.
- B.S. Journalism, Advertising, University of Colorado, Boulder, 1970.
- Recipient Denver Press Club Scholarship.
- Master of Science, Organizational Development, Graziadio School, Pepperdine University. Thesis : The Power of Storytelling in Idea Generation, 2006.
- Kidpower Food and Beverage Marketing Conference
- Health Care Public Relations and Marketing Association
- Women’s Advancement Network
- Western Growers Association
- International Association of Business Communicators
- California Association of Community Managers
Married, mother of three, grandmother of four. Employment experience prior to advertising includes: seamstress, ski-boot sales, hospital aide, child care, waitress, dancer, dry goods sales, short-order cook, leather worker, architectural draftsman, construction project manager, non-fiction magazine writer, public relations writer, and author of books on witchcraft, commodity trading and personal finance. Travel experience includes 30 countries and 65 islands.