PhD, Ben-Gurion University, Israel
MTech, National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra, India
Shantanu Sharma received his PhD in Computer Science in 2016 from Ben-Gurion University, Israel, and Master of Technology (M.Tech.) degree in Computer Science from National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra, India, in 2011. He was awarded a gold medal for the first position in his M.Tech. degree. Currently, he is pursuing his Post Doc at the University of California, Irvine, USA, assisted by Prof. Sharad Mehrotra. His research interests include designing models for MapReduce
computations, data security, distributed algorithms, mobile computing, and wireless communication.
- Security and privacy models in the cloud
- Enhancing cryptographic techniques for big-data processing
- Computing models for MapReduce
- Algorithm design on MapReduce
- Security-privacy aspects in MapReduce
- Algorithms for distributed computing systems including wireless and mobile networks
Degrees and Institutions
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Computer Science
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
Dissertation Title: Replication Aspects in Distributed Systems
Advisor: Prof. Shlomi Dolev
Master of Technology (M.Tech.) in Computer Engineering
National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra, India.
Dissertation Title: Highly Available Coordinator for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Advisor: Dr. Awadhesh Kumar Singh
Selected Publications, News, & Honors
Honors and Awards
- Negev Zin Fellowship for outstanding students at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, for the time of Oct-2012 to Feb-2016, of 4620 NIS (1200 USD), during PhD.
- Research excellence awards in year 2012 (of 1500 NIS), year 2014 (of 3200 NIS), year 2015 (9900 NIS), and year 2016 (4150 NIS).
- First position in M.Tech. Computer Engineering, 2009-11.
- Afrati, Foto N., Sharma, Shantanu, Ullman, Jonathan R., and Ullman, Jeffrey D. Computing marginals using MapReduce. Elsevier Journal of Computer and System Sciences, JCSS, Volume 94, Pages 98-117, June 2018.
- Afrati, Foto N., Dolev, Shlomi, Korach, Ephraim, Sharma, Shantanu, and Ullman, Jeffrey D. Assignment problems of different-sized inputs in MapReduce. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, TKDD, 11(2):18:1–18:35, 2016.
- Dolev, Shlomi, Li, Yin, and Sharma, Shantanu. Private and secure secret shared MapReduce - (extended abstract). In Data and Applications Security and Privacy XXX - 30th Annual IFIP WG 11.3 Conference, DBSec 2016, Trento, Italy, July 18-20, 2016. Proceedings, pages 151–160, 2016.